Tips on Pair Programming
- Be on time. Put the pairing schedule on your google calendar. Don’t make your pair partner waiting or looking for you.
- Remember to switch the driver role (the one who actually typing). Don’t own the keyboard for the whole day by yourself. Without switching, the pairing is only partially functioning.
- Take a break. Ideally, the pairing session happens 60–90 minutes.
- Be chatty. Explain before writing code. Talk about anything. Ask everything. The debate is fine to get deeper understanding but when coming to the conclusion, follow, even if you don’t 100% agree.
- Slower your pace. Avoid using the teleport shortcut key. Write slowly, talk slowly, and think slowly.
- Be yourself. No need to impress your pairing buddy except she/he is your crush.
- Share the credit by putting the pair partner name in the commit message. Github supports it using co-author feature.